Friday, May 28, 2010

leg one

Yo-sem-ite.

Last Monday morning I received an e-mail invitation from my sweetheart for a visit in Yosemite. My weekend has been spent struggling with the dense population, overly paved public spaces, and the tininess that is my home. The decision to go was simple, the tactics for getting out of work were reasonable, and the transportation would soon present itself.

I was lucky enough to connect with a fellow “city lover going to visit her country lover for the weekend,” to travel with. We made the adventure together on Thursday morning. Each stop made along the way was delicious, mysterious, and reassuring that the world had our back. Stop one, gas station, central valley, CA. I snuck into the bathroom and on my way back found a large black truck, tires taller than most of my students, blasting fox news. I offered the stout man of color a strawberry. He, sensing our contrasting appearances, began explaining how he listens to fox in addition to many other liberal radio stations. He began explaining his dislike of larger corporations, blaming them for all of the unjust in certain political situations. Even though this man and I were living very different lives, I felt very communally human in the experience.

Next stop was a cherry stand. We paused for a minute to pick up a few more rations. The woman selling us our fair was so friendly and offered us delicious, spray free, pre washed cherries. She made friendly conversation and told us to come back and get some cherries for our mothers on way back. Needless to say, I picked up three baskets on the way back.

Our third stop was in Oakhurt, the last town before Wawona, where our lovers were co-leading English emersion courses for 12 students from the area. We found ourselves at a small gas station, with a friendly man who graciously shared his filtered water.

We met our country lovers at work and enjoyed a tasty lunch on the porch of the hub of education programs within the park. I was lucky enough to borrow a bike for a exploratory adventure. It was delightful to wander the open spaces. I was able to leave the bike unlocked to sit on a large rock next to a rushing river. Later, the crew would reunite to jump in the same river. The next day I climbed to the top of the river to see some snow holding out for waiting for warmer weather.

Long dinners, simple cabins in the woods, Yosemite adventures, drastic views, wonderful company, backyard music festivals, and a safe ride home (acquired at the music festival) made for a wonderful start of my summer adventure. Thanks to everyone who helped made it possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment