Wednesday, July 14, 2010

P.O.

Today I write from my bed/friend’s couch in Seattle. I arrived Monday evening and have been recovering from a doubt of poison oak for the past two days. I tried the herbal route, but it doesn’t seem to be nipping it in the bud the way I need it to in order to head out tomorrow. I am moving on to militant hourly cleansing with Tecnu. If that doesn’t work I am hoping for a prescription of something a little stronger. Know any good doctors in Seattle?

In my distracted state of festival living I was assuming the itching was bug bites and was scratching away. Now I am healing a big patch on the back of my knee and a smaller patch on my shoulder, small spots on my stomach, and little dots on my ears and under my left eye. Gross, yes, but that’s what comes with reading my blog. The trials and tribulations of being a “diseased” house guest SUCK! But my hosts are nice about it and luckily have a washing machine so I will wash my clothes many times.

Rachel arrives tomorrow and we set off on our adventure to Vancouver, Vancouver Island, the little islands in between (which ones is tbd), and The Olympic peninsula. Rachel flies out of Seattle on August 3rd. This year has been a great year for our friendship. We have discovered similar passions, beliefs, and frustrations with the world. We have enjoyed become best friends while riding our bikes, spending time with our crew of friends, and processing the world. A big part of me feels like I have been looking for this type of friendship my whole life, and I am so grateful to have finally found it. Now we get to spend 20 days together, hopefully we won’t kill each other : ). In September Rachel will move to Santa Barbara for a master’s degree in environmental science. She is one smart cookie, and I am so proud of her taking the next step. While I am sad we won’t live in the same place next year, I know we will be friends for the rest of our lives.

Well the Oregon Country Fair was a trip. Yes, the west coast sure does have an excessive amount of rave-esq weekend long parties and this was another one of them. Each one definitely takes on it's own unique vibe and I am grateful that I have been lucky enough to experience the similarities and differences of so many over my west coast sabbatical. The OCF is a ferrie hippie constructed, using mostly natural resources, with 30+ years of detailed and care, shopping mall. Booths and booths of hand crafted consumer goods line the paths way with the occasional beautifully decorated stage. I recently heard it described as a really great party that no one could afford to throw, so they invited the public. From 11am-7pm every day 20,000+ people stroll the streets of the fair to shop, eat, and watch talented performers. From 7pm-11am the workers take back the streets and shop, eat and watch talented performers with fewer crowds. I haven’t had enough distance to really conceptualize the whole experience to write more than that, but I’m glad I made it inside. I saw and experienced things that I imagine exist no where else in the world.

I'm off to take a nap and rest up for our big bike journey! I hope you all are well!

Smiles
Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment